Al-Qaeda-linked European terror plot uncovered

by admin on September 30, 2010

A terror plot that was reportedly in its beginning stages was recently uncovered and reportedly involved at least 10 suspects from Germany and the UK.

The news was broken by a Pakistani intelligence official who is part of a team that has been tracking the suspects, the Associated Press reports. The official added that the team had been tracking two British brothers of Pakistani origin for about a year and the eight Germans involved for roughly six months.

"[The suspects] have been making calls to Germany and London," the official told the news provider. "They have been talking about and looking for facilitators and logistics they need there to carry out terror strikes."

The official reportedly talked to the AP on the condition of anonymity because he said he was not authorized to release the information to the media.

The official also stated that though the plan was in its early stages, the group of alleged terrorists had al-Quaeda backing and that the suspects should "not be underestimated."

Various reports point to the terror plot focusing on simultaneous attacks on London and other European cities.

As a precaution, police security in Britain and France were reportedly increased and extra attention was given to landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square and Big Ben.

The suspects were reportedly based in North Waziristan, a tribal region in Pakistan and where the U.S. military had conducted a number of drone-fired missile strikes. The official revealed to the UK newspaper The Daily Mail that one of the British suspects may have been killed in one of the missile strikes, though it's not known if the attack was related to the terror plot investigation.

The name of the alleged deceased suspect is Abdul Jabbar and was originally from Pakistan's Jhelum district.

Previous post:

Next post: