Post image for Case against Dominique Strauss-Kahn likely to be dropped

Case against Dominique Strauss-Kahn likely to be dropped

by Jorge Hernandez on August 22, 2011

The sexual assault case against former head of the International Monetary Fund Dominique Strauss-Kahn was damaged considerably last month, and now it looks like the Manhattan District Attorney's office that brought the charges will drop the case altogether.

According to the Associated Press, a source close to the office says that they told the alleged victim that they were no longer going to pursue the prosecution of Strauss-Kahn. The change in direction comes after a number of questions were raised about the accuser's credibility, and they did not have any substantial evidence to prove a forced sexual encounter.

Strauss-Kahn was arrested in May after Nafissatou Diallo, a 32-year-old hotel maid, claimed that he chased her down and sexually assaulted her when she came to clean his room at the Sofitel hotel. While the evidenced seemed compelling at first, in July investigators started to find a number of false statements made by Diallo that made her an unreliable witness. However, Diallo sued Strauss-Kahn earlier this month.

"What happened to me, I don't want it to happen to any other woman, because this is just too much for me," she said, the news source reports.

While he may escape prison time, the accusations levied against Strauss-Kahn have seriously hurt his reputation. At the time of his arrest, he was a serious contender for the French presidency, but now other allegations of his treatment of women have surfaced.

According to the Daily Telegraph, French journalist Tristane Banon also accused Strauss-Kahn of sexual misconduct, more specifically attempted rape. The accusations stem from a 2002 meeting between the two when she was set to interview him for a book.

Previous post:

Next post: