Post image for Prosecutors expected to drop case against Dominique Strauss-Kahn

Prosecutors expected to drop case against Dominique Strauss-Kahn

by Jorge Hernandez on July 5, 2011

In the wake of crumbling evidence, prosecutors are ready to drop all charges against embattled former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn. The New York Post reports that a dismissal is all but certain as questions about the accuser's credibility have come to light.

The sexual assault charges levied against Strauss-Kahn stemmed from the story provided by a hotel maid who claimed he attempted to rape her in the New York hotel room he was staying in. Now, a source close to the investigation told the Post that the maid is almost completely unreliable as a witness.

"She is not to be believed in anything that comes out of her mouth – which is a shame, because now we may never know what happened in that hotel room," the source told the news provider. "Did [Strauss-Kahn] use force? Was there actually a crime? I don't think we'll ever know."

Although the case is likely to be dropped, for several weeks it appeared as though one of the world's most powerful men, and a possible French presidential candidate, was set for severe legal trouble. He was arrested in May at John F. Kennedy International Airport and was since under house arrest. However, he was recently released as his accuser's story continued to fall apart.

Though his latest legal woes are over, some new accusations recently came to the forefront. French journalist Tristane Banon is expected to sue Strauss-Kahn for a rape attempt. The 32-year-old Banon, who has previously discussed the incident, says that it occurred when she interviewed Strauss-Kahn back in 2002, the Associated Press reports.

Previous post:

Next post: