Post image for Angry Vancouver fans riot after Stanley Cup loss

Angry Vancouver fans riot after Stanley Cup loss

by Derrick Johnson on June 16, 2011

After losing game seven of the Stanley Cup final 4-0 to the Boston Bruins, throngs of intoxicated Vancouver Canucks fans took the streets to vent their frustration. CTV News reports thousands of angry supporters started to riot, igniting fires, flipping cars and throwing beer bottles at the giant screens projecting the game.

Eyewitnesses described a chaotic scene with some of the rioters breaking in store windows and looting local businesses. There were at least two cars set on fire during the rioting, and police on horseback had to be called in to quell the violence. St. Paul’s Hospital set up a station to deal with injuries caused by tear gas and pepper spray, and several others were brought in to receive treatment for stab wounds and other serious injuries.

In the wake of the post-game melee, Vancouver mayor Gregor Robertson expressed his displeasure with the rioting, saying it is not indicative of the city or its people.

"It's a bunch of angry young men who are fighting, smashing things, lighting cars on fire," the mayor told the news source. “It's absolutely shameful and disgraceful and in no way represents the city of Vancouver."

Also expressing her disappointment was British Columbia Public Safety Minister Shirley Bond, who was shocked at the extensive damage rioters had done to the city.

The scene is reminiscent of what happened in Vancouver when the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup in 1994 under similar circumstances to the New York Rangers, who beat them in seven games. That year, police arrested more than 150 people and according to The New York Times, 200 people were injured.

As for the game that caused the riots, the end result was never really in doubt. The Bruins took a 3-0 lead into the third period, and added one more for good measure to give the team its first championship since 1972.

Previous post:

Next post: