Post image for Paul McCartney to talk to British police about phone hacking

Paul McCartney to talk to British police about phone hacking

by Shannon Harris on August 5, 2011

The phone hacking scandal that wracked the UK earlier this summer appears to have hit one of the most revered celebrities in the country – Paul McCartney. The former Beatle recently told reporters that he will be speaking to British police after his ex-wife Heather Mills told BBC News that she had been the target of hacking in 2001.

The alleged culprits are not the same as those who were accused from the News of the World however. Mills told the news source that a reporter for the Mirror Group confessed to her that they had hacked voicemails left for her by McCartney, who was her boyfriend at the time.

The encounter in question supposedly began when Mills received a phone call from a reporter who began quoting the voicemail directly. When Mills pressed her for information, the reporter confessed.

The media group has maintained that their reporters are not guilty, and maintain that their reporters work within the law. Still, a piece written by current CNN host Piers Morgan in the Daily Mail in which he referenced a voice message 2006 seems to suggest otherwise.

"There was absolutely no honest way that Piers Morgan could have obtained that tape that he has so proudly bragged about unless they had gone into my voice messages," Mills told the BBC.

In response, Morgan released a statement steadfastly denying any involvement with the hacking and that Mills' claims are unsubstantiated.

Mills is just one of a number of celebrities who claim to have been victims of having their voicemail hacked by British media outlets. Most famously, Hugh Grant and his then-girlfriend Jemima Khan had been hacked by the News of the World.

Previous post:

Next post: