Days before 9/11 anniversary, new terror threat announced
U.S. officials came forward yesterday to announce a new terror threat that was described as "credible but not corroborated." It has been speculated that al Qaeda terrorists would strike on the 10th anniversary of September 11, particularly because suggestions of such an attack were found in the raid of Osama bin Laden's compound earlier this year.
"We have received credible information very recently about a possible plot directed at the homeland that seems to be focused on New York Adan Washington D.C.," a senior administration official told CNN.
Specifically, officials are searching for three individuals, one of whom is believed to be a U.S. citizen. While there are few details known about the potential threat, the announcement said that the attack could involve a vehicle loaded with explosives. The officials believe that the three individuals have not yet crossed over U.S. borders.
According to ABC, the plot may have been launched by the new head of al Qaeda, Ayman al-Zawahiri. Earlier this year, he made a promise to avenge bin Laden's death.
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg came forward at the same press conference where the initial announcement was made to say that the New York Police Department is already on high alert. He added that though the threat has not been corroborated, officials in the city are taking it very seriously.
Officials are still debating whether or not to raise the national terror threat now that this information has been made public. A total of 18,000 law enforcement agencies across the nation received a memo warning them of the potential plot that could take place on Sunday or another significant date.
Additionally, the White House and Congressional leaders were briefed on the new threat.